Welcome to my world~

欢迎光临寒舍~ 哈哈……很有古代的feel吧?

Friday 1 January 2010

Resharing :无名英雄 The unsung heroes

I believe half of Sibu’s now in water. I had the urge to write this not because I’m trapped at home, but to voice out my heartfelt grateful to these heroes that save my life as well as my parents and also our pets and probably, my grandma too.


Last night we went for Hainan Association’s 新春联欢晚会。Normally mummy and I won’t join this. I often opted to go for the Mid-autumn Festival. However, surprisingly, mummy urged daddy to buy tickets for this year’s Chinese New Year gathering. She was thinking that if I go for university earlier than expected, I won’t be joining the Mid-autumn dinner. So, she wanted a family dinner at the association.

Yesterday morning, my house was kind of flooded. The main road had been flooded almost everyday since the last day of Mouse year. It was a bit more serious than usual. But since the water level drop significantly by 5pm, we decided to go after all. Before we went out, we put the new born kittens in one cage, the mother cat that caused us to worry whole afternoon in another cage, left the others free and pulled our dog in. We thought everything will be okay. Nevertheless, I brought my sandals along just in case we need to park our car at the higher area opposite and tread water back.

Unexpectedly, just as the Chinese proverb always say, man count no like sky count (人算不如天算), the water level rose up in a blink of eye. When we leave New Capital Restaurant at 9pm, we were trapped before Catholic High School. By 10pm, we parked our car near Li Hua Hotel and waited for daddy’s friend to fetch us home. However, the water level was really high and his car got trapped in the water too. So, I started to phone the authority for help. Using my handphone and dad’s, I called the Lanang police station, Sibu town centre police station, rescue team, flood operation room, 911, patrol police station and residence office. Basically, I phoned all possible paces for help. A total of 14 policemen and policewomen answered my calls or came to ask me personally. They all advised us to stay in the town till dawn. But mum’s really worried about our special ones at home. Personally, I was more worried about grandma. So, I tried my very best to seek for help. The policemen were strongly against my undesirable decision of walking home. Although it’s just a 5 minutes’ drive, the water was really swift and even policemen in Pajero don’t dare to go to our area. It’s one of the most dangerous areas in Sibu. I must give thumbs up to these policemen because they were still willing to help me to ask for other means of transportation so that we could home. Mind you, it was already 11.30pm and they were all very tired after patrolling through those areas. They could just ignore us and forced us to stay in town. Instead, they took down our details and paged for boats and trucks. Unfortunately, all the trucks were used to transport other victims from villages to schools. Thank God that he sent another 2 good Samaritans. These 2 marine police came in speed boat and sent us home. Hence, there we were, in the police speedboat in the middle of the night (I did check my watch, it was 12.08am when we past by a ship near the swan statue). It took us about 25 minutes to arrive the marine police jetty. On the way, I look down into the water with an inside out life jacket. To tell you the truth, I was scared by the look of rough seas. I prayed silently in my heart. If God has the power to calm the roughest sea, I believe He’ll lead us a safe journey home. The gigantic look of ships and harbour with endless planks did give me a sense of horror. Our speedboat stopped thrice due to planks stuck in the motor. But the voices of marine polices soothed my panicked heart. I was thinking hard, what was God's message to me through this incident? To love my country more? If you guys out there understand this, please enlighten me.It’s good that we live near Battalion 10. In fact, we were just 2 minutes walk from that jetty point. When we arrived there, the policemen that requested for boat rescue actually phoned us and said that he was truly pleased that we arrived home safe. Mum was so impressed with Malaysian police. We were all touched with their dedication.

We took 15 minutes or so to arrive home. At the U-turn junction, we saw 许长发(not sure if I get his name correct) taking photos. Home was never this far. The water level was until my thigh. I’m not a short person, so you can imagine how frightening the experience was. When Hilux drove past us, the water will become so strong that you might fall anytime. (ps: when we crossed the road, we saw a cyclist on his bicycle. The water had covered more than half of his tyres) I believed 120% that the policemen said the water is 3 feet deep. Arrived home safely at 12.40pm. Glad that we saved all kitten, cats and dog. Grandma’s room was dark, so I assumed she was alright. Aunty and cousin Alex waved to us, indicating things were okay.

Went to bed at 2pm.

A special thank you to the unsung heroes out there that were willing to save us, no matter how bad the weather is, no matter how difficult the task is.

TERIMA KASIH!!!


Photos can be viewed at http://shiningice89-barbara.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?_c01_BlogPart=blogentry&_c=BlogPart&handle=cns!A983A164DC8C553B!690

No comments:

Post a Comment

What time is it now? 童鞋,记住:一寸光阴一寸金~

Canberra

Sibu